Embattled Daraga Mayor Carlwyn “Awin” Baldo announced that there will be no Cagsawa Festival this year due to budgetary constraints.
“We would like to inform everyone that as much as we want to proceed with the holding of our annual CAGSAWA FESTIVAL to give our Daragueno constituents and Albayanos alike some fun and enjoyment this month of February, we are constrained to defer the same because our Budget for 2019 is still pending until now despite having an approved Program of Activities,” Baldo said.
“Unfortunately, although the Mayor’s Office has submitted said Budget to the Sangguniang Bayan way back October of last year, no action was taken and instead, it was returned to my office last January 16, 2019 which is about two and a half months from the time of submission,” he added.
Baldo said that the Sangguniang Bayan finally approved said Budget only last February 12, but as a requirement, the budget will still need to be reviewed by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Albay.
Baldo also said that the Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) noted that government procurement procedures usually take about two weeks or even more to meet the supply needed for the event.
The mayor also explained that the city government cannot move the event to a later date as the ordinance requires the Cagsawa Festival to be held every February.
“The option to hold the same on the following month, or some other date, is not also allowed as there is an Ordinance which provided that Cagsawa Festival is only to be held every month of February of the year,” Baldo said.
“Meanwhile, we would have already been overtaken by the COMELEC ban. Hence, this decision to not push through with the event,” he added.